Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Working on cars - hottest day of the summer

With our trip to the beach coming up, it was time to tune up the cars a little bit. This was my last chance to get to it and unfortunately, was a 102 degree day. According to the weather man it felt 112 with the heat index.

First up was the ol' Honda. First up was the usual oil/oil filter/air filter. Way overdue for most all of these. I found out that the bucket I just bought for oil changes has a split in the bottom. A pretty awesome discovery with 3 gallons of oil dispatched to that bucket. After sorting that out it was time to turn my attention to the desperately corroded battery terminals. So corroded that I had to use the shop vac to contain the mess - and I was unable to get the positive terminal off. I was able to remove the negative terminal though and give it a thorough cleaning. Upon reconnecting the battery - the aftermarket car alarm was kind enough to go off in my ear. I Pulled the horn fuse and started fishing for the cut off sequence. I looked briefly for a valet switch and didn't find one so I tried the usual stuff. Lock the door, unlock the door, start the car, press this press that. I eventually did find a tiny valet switch and was able to get the alarm back in order. Then I wrote down what to do on the manual cover so this doesn't happen again. (read: this isn't the first time)

After that the cobra. It appears to be suffering from a small oil leak, and after the effort to get the car lifted, I discovered that there appears to be a small metal gasket between the engine and the transmission bellhousing that has been bent. This is the lowest point on the car, and I must have scuffed it on a speed bump or something. I might try stuffing it full of RTV because UGH. I might extract an opinion or two from fellow car folks before doing anything though.

Last was the truck - due for a tire rotation. Driver side - no problems. Passenger side - broke a 3/4in socket, and then with the replacement broke my 3/4 to 1/2in adapter. I was able to find a suitable replacement in with my air tools but man - those lugs are hard to get off!

Overall mission success...I just hope Diana's battery doesn't die because it's pretty much fused to the wiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment